“Hospitals are closing across the country due to the burden of illegal immigration, college students find that summer jobs have dried up due to illegal immigration, and wages across the board are depressed by the overwhelming influx of cheap and illegal labor.” – Elton Gallegly
You can’t have free flow immigration at the same time that you have an entitlement state. In a free market, having a healthy immigration policy means that you have more people you can buy and sell with. We currently live in an entitlement state, which welcomes the wrong type of immigrants to our shores and across our borders. We also live in a state of drug prohibition, which fuels the violence associated with immigrants. We need to reform our immigration policy to incentivize the best and brightest from all countries that want to be American, and disincentivize those that simply want to take advantage of American taxpayers.
When elected, I will work to protect the United States and enforce its sovereignty and borders.
There are many viable options for working to solve the problems associated with illegal immigration:
- Stop welfare for immigrants. We need to reform the entitlement state to eliminate the free rider economic problem. No one in government ever wants to talk about the costs to provide food stamps, medicare and education to the families of immigrants. No one wants a child to be uneducated, go hungry or get sick. However, we need to address the tremendous economic burden this places on citizens and tax payers of the United States.
- Enforce the borders. Most countries in the world have strict border controls. I will look at redeploying military from foreign deployments to domestic bases which could support border enforcement. If you don’t have controllable borders, you can’t protect the country from invasion and terrorists.
- End birthright citizenship. The United States is one of the only countries in the world which grants birthright citizenship, which incentivizes and rewards people who come here illegally.
- Support legal immigration. We need to reform our immigration policy to attract the best and brightest immigrants from other countries. Many western countries have amazing talent, but our lottery system makes it difficult for talented individuals to get visas. We should leverage their innovative talents, instead of turning a blind eye to the illegal immigrants who break the rules.
- End the War on Drugs. Prohibition creates black markets. In black markets, conflicts are resolved with street justice, and not in the courts where they should be. Much of the violence from immigrants are due to black market, so if you end the prohibition, you end drug violence.